Saturday, July 21, 2012

What or whom do you fear?

What are you afraid of? I have to admit that there are often many fears that crowd my mind - what ifs often take over: What if we can't pay the bills? What if something was to happen to our daughter? What if I can't lose all the weight I want to (will people, my husband, think less of me?)...it sometimes goes on and on..

"Do not fear". I hear God speak. Still my mind runs wild with questions, worries, fear and then I start to cry.

"Do not fear." Again, God speaks and cuts through the thoughts whirling around in my mind. How many times do I need to be reminded, challenged, rebuked?

Only fear the Lord...
Psalm 34.9-10 says “Fear the Lord, you his godly people, for those who fear him will have all they need... those who trust in the Lord will lack no good thing.”

I need this reminder - often. Fear is something that I struggle with and it seems as often as I give it to God, another fear comes to take its place.

Recently I was reminded that if we fear anyone or anything else, we give that thing or person too much authority or power in our lives. What or who we fear, is what or who rules over us - what we have given authority and power to in our lives.

For example, if I fear not having enough money, then that fear  is what is ruling my life instead of God. However, God is the provider and has promised to meet all of my needs according to his riches in Jesus (Phil 4.19). Wow!

God promises that if we fear him, the only one deserving of that authority in our lives, we will have all we need and will lack nothing that is good. What a promise!

Psalm 34.4-5 says, “I prayed to the Lord and he answered me. He freed me from all my fears. Those who look to him will be radiant with joy...”


God has asked me again today - "Renate, do you trust me?" Again I have to say, "I'm sorry for my fear. Yes, Lord. I trust you," and then leave all those fears and worries and questions with him.

What is it that you're afraid of? Take all your fears to God - he will free you and you will find peace and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment