Saturday, July 28, 2012

Be still



Psalm 46 (NLT):
"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear
...God’s voice thunders and the earth melts! The Lord of the Heavens Armies is here among us...
He causes wars to end...
Be still and know that I am God! I will be honoured by every nation. I will be honoured throughout the world.
The Lord of the Heaven’s Armies is here among us...”

Many of us would be really familiar with v10 ("Be still and know...") but here, in context, it doesn’t seem to be a passive ‘being still’ – for the sake of ‘being still’. It seems like a command from God to sit at his feet in awe of and in honour of him (look again at the rest of that verse and the previous verses). It seems that this reverence of and awe of God is not at all something passive.

I think it's a command to stop running around – to stop striving – to stop being afraid. 

Look at the world around you. Hear God, whose voice thunders, and know him. Know that God is here...

I want God to reveal more of himself to me. I want to know and live everyday like the “Lord of the Heaven’s Armies is here among us...”

How would my life be different if I truly lived this way?


Would I live more freely? Courageously?

Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment