Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Pelican

As I was walking with Adira, I started thinking of financial needs we have at the moment and began to feel overwhelmed...

I started to pray, asking God to provide. Before I got through my 'list' of needs (and wants), a pelican flew overhead. It was like God saying, "don't worry, I've got it under control".

To understand this, you need to know that pelicans have long been a sign of God's love and care for me. A friend of mine sees pelicans as her sign of God's provision also.

I don't live near the ocean at the moment and haven't been able to visit my Dad in a while who does live near the ocean as well as a river where many pelicans like to hang out. I miss my walks there - the sounds and sights of ocean and river life.

I have always felt God's presence more strongly or best when I'm wandering along a deserted beach or that particular river but I know that God hasn't left me or is more silent just because I live in the country right now. Every now and then God reminds me that he is watching, caring, listening, loving, speaking - no matter where I am - by sending along a sea breeze that reaches me even out here or a pelican that seems out of place...


Matthew 6.30-33 says, "If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you? What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met" (MSG).

So, I stopped running through my list of needs and thanked God that he hears and provides and once again placed my trust in the one who knows my needs and promises to take care of me.

What are some of the ways that God reminds you of his love and care?


No comments:

Post a Comment