Monday, August 6, 2012

Say it again...

Psalm 136 is just one example of God repeating something over and over again. Here's an example:
v1-2 "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
His faithful love endures forever.
Give thanks to the God of gods,
His faithful love endures forever."
v 4-5 "Give thanks to him alone who does mighty miracles,
His faithful love endures forever.
Give thanks to him who made the heavens so skilfully,
His faithful love endures forever." (NLT)


Get the picture? Not only does this psalm get us to give thanks to God for who he is and what he's done ("give thanks" being another repeated phrase) but every second line in this Psalm is "His faithful love endures forever".

God speaks repetitively to us - not because we fail or are dumb or are slow learners (although perhaps we can feel that way) but because he love us.

How many times do I tell my daughter I love her? More than 10 times a day. Why? Because I love her so much I can't help but tell her. I want Adira to know I love her and to have that knowledge take root in her heart so she can live from that security. How much more does God love us and want that for his children?

I do know that I can sometimes be slow to really grasp what God is trying to show me or teach me and so I do need reminders. However, I really believe, because God is love, he repeats things because he wants us to be sure - to be able to really know and understand and live out of the reality of who he is and how he acts - how he loves us.

I don't tell my daughter I love her so many times a day because I think she doesn't understand or because she's dumb. I tell her because I love her so much and I cannot help but tell her! God loves us so much more than we can comprehend and wants us to know and live in the security that his love brings.

The next time you feel that God is saying something to you over and over - maybe through his word or others - thank God that he loves you so much he needs to - wants to - tell you again...

[What are some ways that God speaks to you 'again'? What are some of the things he says? I'd love to hear from you.]

No comments:

Post a Comment