Saturday, November 24, 2012

Ups and Downs


Wow! I can't believe how long it has been since I have been here... I will endeavour be back regularly again from now on.

The past couple of months have been filled with youth camps, sickness, job losses and gains, and other kinds of change. I have had so many things to write about and share that I just didn't know where to start.

I have been feeling weary, anxious, sad, excited, doubtful and in awe. Yes, I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster ride that doesn't look like it's going to end any time soon.

I really don't love rollercoasters or any rides of that kind at all but I realise of course that ups and downs are a part of this life journey we are all on.

God doesn't guarantee us a life without dips and bends and steep climbs. He does guarantee that he will be with us in all of it. He does guarantee that we can be overcomers because greater is the Spirit that is in us, than the spirit that is in the world (1 John 4.4). He promises that his "love never fails" (Psalm 136). He says that even when anxious, we can have His peace when we pray and praise him (Philippians 4.6-7).

Really, if I'm honest, I wouldn't want it any other way. Yes, I like it when things are smooth and I can see what's around the bend but I have met Jesus in the dips - those dark, sad, anxious moments - and he has given me peace and guidance and comfort and He is amazing. I have also had wonderful times of worship and joy and being in awe of God as I've seen young people come to know Jesus, as we've been healed from sickness, as I have been wonderstruck by creation again and again.

I don't know where you are on this rollercoaster called life. Maybe you're at the top and loving every moment. Maybe you're on the way down and have that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach and don't know how things are going to turn out. All I can say is trust Him. Trust the One who promises to stay with you. Trust the One who promises you peace that is unfathomable. I am... He is able to do "infinitely more than we could ask or think" (Ephesians 3.19-20).




(Roller coaster image found here)

No comments:

Post a Comment