Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Voluntary Worship

Today I read Ps 54.6: “I will sacrifice a voluntary offering to you; I will praise your name, O Lord, for it is good.”

What stood out was the voluntary part – this offering was not an obligation or a ‘have to’. The offering was voluntary, chosen by the psalmist, in the midst of circumstances that were tough.

This Psalm starts with David asking God to rescue him from those attacking him but it ends with David praising God for rescuing him from his troubles.

Is this faith or hindsight? Is David praising God in faith, knowing God will answer?

I think David is praising God in faith but also knowing that God has answered before and he knows who God is – worthy of praise.

I want to have that faith and joy. I don’t want to feel like I ‘must’ praise and worship God but that I will voluntarily do so. I want to be able to choose to worship God even in the midst of tough circumstances, knowing that God will answer and has before and because he is worthy and he is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment